Sunday, February 1, 2009

Note to self:

1) When unwanted person (say, someone who you wished and prayed all your life would never have the good fortune to see your radiant face again. Ever.) strays in your path in the crowded corridors of college culturals, please DO NOT find nearest room (only to find out Tamil Essay writing is going on there)  to run into or hide behind ghastly (but very nicely painted) picture of Snow White. Also, don't try and pretend you don't know who the person is (and then look out if he is around just to dash into other obscure rooms. Now that the incident has occurred and you have done both of the above, DON'T sit and re-live that painful, traumatic and melodramatic sequence all over again for the five hundred and twentieth time in your mind. 

2) When you enter the cinema hall in the dark, it is generally a good thing to hold friend's hand. Knowing how poised you are, you will trip and fall almost flat on someone else's face. It's dark and all, true, but still. People do have good vision in the dark once the rods and cones have adjusted their light settings. Wearing very bright striped t-shirt does not help either. 

3) Seats in theatres don't go down by themselves, you have to push them and sit. Not sit on them and push. That just makes you look incredibly tall. And slightly foolishly uncomfortable. 

4) When someone takes the trouble of complimenting you, don't stare at them as though they have contracted some rare form of malaria from the jungles of the Amazon. Smile and say 'Thanks'. Or at least, just smile. 

5) When you hear a particularly horrendous rendition of 'Zombie' in the Western Electric competition, it does not help to imitate the poor distressed soul and do the entire headbanging routine in front of your friends. There are people...and cameras around you. Cameras that are capturing the entire culturals and putting it on some website. And people who are writing about the culturals. Now go meekly to your room and pray that the editor of that website has the enlightenment not to put your radiant face on his website. (face might not be seen, fortunately. Only one pony going up and down. But that bright striped t-shirt will give you away again.) 

I've managed to accomplish all of the above in just one day. I'm turning into Bridget Jones. Or some equally interesting person who manages to embarrass herself on occasions when the density of human species is particularly high. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Do I know the aforementioned unwanted person? :)
Even otherwise, I want a juicier, more detailed version of this story. :)

Vaishnavi said...

Yes, I'm supposing you know who this unwanted person is. It's from school only.
I am NOT divulging any of the stupid antics I did in order not to run into him at my OWN college. Look on the bright side (or maybe not so bright)...I dont think he recognized me anyway. Besides, I have already noted that I will not relive the incident for the 521st time! :P :P

sneha said...

Yes, very nice note.. Also note that you must carry enough construction material with you to theatres to build a dam to shield innocent movie-watchers from your flood of tears. Other people like watching a movie without taking a shower at the same time you know :)

Don't avoid unwanted boy, silly girl! Face him, yell at him, take off chappal and use it well.. are you or aren't you a confident, strong MCCite? In this way, make sure HE avoids YOU in the future! He can go ducking behind Snow Whites and Cinderellas, and you can proudly march along..

Vaishnavi said...

Oh Ha Ha. My friends now carry with them a box of tissues (to keep themselves dry) and have a cry bulletin that is announced in every senti senti scene. I just get INVOLVED ok?

Yeah. I can now safely retreat to my hidey hole and go back to praying I never see him again. I wont be an MCCite for very long now. And the confidence is already fizzling out. But yeah...what the heck....i dont really care anymore :) I shall use my chappal very well next time! :) (anyway they dont stay on my foot very long...did I mention the other day I left one chappal on the ground while climbing the bus? I had to run back down and get it- much to the amusement of the driver and passengers!)

Besides...who else but we, the former Christites will know the motto of 'Marching On'! :P

Unknown said...

Come now, all the info was just enough pique my curiosity, not nearly enough to satisfy it.

Yes, you shall dread the next time you come online. :P

I second Sneha. Chappals next time. :)

MM said...

Like I said, next time- Chappal Time!

Or better still, use pepper spray. MADE for people like these. :D