Friday, May 1, 2009

What's YOUR hobby?

Funny word innit? People keep asking you 'What's your Hobby' as if it is your blood group and would be essential to know for your survival. When I was a kid, I'd be constantly pestered by aunties and uncles. Being an only child, it was presumed that a hobby is a great substitute for a sibling. I'd always angelically smile and say 'ReadingWritingTravelingandListeningtoMusicaunty.'  Even in my resume, I've continued to follow the same format. Although, I must confess here that I do possess other hobbies. Just ones that I cannot reveal in a resume or a social function. 

My first hobby is staring. Not that perverted voyeuristic type that's running in your dirty mind. But just staring. Staring at people, posters, streetlights, garbage dumps...anything. Generally when my object of interest is a person, I'd be mentally figuring his/her life out. Wondering where they're off to, what they might be doing and what they might have been in the previous life based on their facial features (I've concluded half the people who travel in route 27 were seahorses.). While this hobby is hugely entertaining for me, it isn't so for my object. Once my classmate demanded to know why I stared at him as if he were a slug and I couldn't wait to squish him! So Staring can certainly not be entered in social networking profiles as a Hobby. 

Collecting. I started off fairly harmlessly by collecting Stamps, Coins, Shells etc.  A trip to Kodaikanal got me into collecting Pine cones. I decided I would paint them and adorn my room with them...until some started attracting weird looking bugs. I then progressed to collecting leaves (for a sci..science project, of course!) and pebbles. I moved on to collect travel pamphlets. In the hotel lobby at Singapore, I set off smartly in the direction of that pamphlet rack and pulled one of each type, much to the embarrassment of my parents. I then proceeded to read through every single one of them. I even convinced my dad and uncles who traveled abroad to get me route maps and brochures from there as well. I now know transport systems of Germany and Kenya at the back of my hand! My latest collection is Cadbury Dairy Milk wrappers. I must be owning at least over a hundred. An explosion of purple in my desk. 

Writing my name. I could write my name over and over again in different fonts, materials, colours. I'm obsessed with my name, I suppose. At least it's better than writing Leonardo Di Caprio all over my notebooks. (I tried that once, it was the longest name I knew, but reverted back to my own name.) Actually, I just like writing. Anything. I like to write stuff and then sit back and admire my handwriting. Really, I should be banned from this selfless world. 

Watching advertisements. They're so much fun! Especially the type where you have to figure out the product because there is no inkling of it until the very end of that 40 second commercial. I have a list of favorite advertisements....that may even exceed my list of favorite movies! 

and finally, writing all this out on public spaces of the Internet. Really, if you haven't figured out as yet, I seem to find some cathartic joy in embarrassing myself on the World Wide Web. Hopefully there are more like me out there who pride upon being so self-obsessed! 


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe. You write your own name a million times? A friend of mine told me that apparently it is a very masculine trait, that, as opposed to doodling random things. It's interesting that you indulge in the former. Perhaps it is in-line with certain test results from before? :P

And hmm, I didn't know that Leonardo DiCaprio was longer than Vaishnavi Venkatesh.

Vaishnavi said...

Oh Ha Ha. That test was very old and needs to be updated. My 'pink' display picture will prove that.

Actually I write the name and decorate it and stick it around in my room. Sort of to emphasize that I'm the resident :-P

Leonardo DiCaprio is longer than just Vaishnavi. My name beats it by one letter, but my full name is too much of an alliteration. So I stick only with the first name. Saving paper, you know. :-P

sneha said...

I remember going to all those hobby classes every summer.. I wish we could do that still.. I regret not having learnt to play a musical instrument though.. Maybe it isn't too late yet.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce that Vaishnavi has embarked on a new Hobby.. She now cooks (not stories only), but things that you can EAT! Way to go!

Unknown said...

Aaha! So all the pink is over-compensation.

:P

rahuls said...

LOL @seahorses :) Bdway, what is the criteria of deciding that? Just the facial features? Then why seahorses in particular? They could have been normal horses by looking at the facial features.