Friday, September 18, 2009

The owl finally hooted!

Ooh! This is my 50th blog post! Yay! (For a lazy journalism student who should, technically have crossed this milestone years ago...it IS a big achievement OK?) So anyway, it is a ripe afternoon as I write this....my laptop tells me the time is 12.12...and it gets me thinking of the bewitching midnight hour...

For all you guys who know me, I'm the goody goody thing who goes to sleep at 10 every night and wakes up bright and cheery every morning...sometimes trying to give the rising sun an inferiority complex! But circumstances have spoilt me! The sun seems to overtake me these days and I seem to overtake the moon! In less complicated words, I now know what the world looks like past bedtime thanks to insomniac friends, messenger (if my fingers cramp due to excessive typing and I walk around with bandaged hands, I'll have a lot to say to you Sneh!) , lots of assignments and just dull boredom (which completely evaporates the moment I decide to stay online!)

Remember in childhood, when you would be given special permission to stay up late and greet a visiting relative from abroad (since they ALWAYS choose to fly in at unearthly hours) or even stay up on a weekend to watch an entire movie on the TV? Those were rare privileges that I treasured....and was filled with awe that Mr.Night is letting me stay up and watch him ageing! That soon gave way to slumber parties where no one knew when it was night and when it was day! We'd just stay up all the time....and watch the hours melt into one another! :-)

Even on birthdays, I've always been the weirdo who calls up early in the morning to wish the disgruntled birthday baby with a nauseous cheery greeting! I've never been the midnight wisher, simply thinking that they would hate to be disturbed in the middle of their deep sleep by that nauseous greeting! Conversely I have always threatened to kill people in cold blood if they dared give me even a missed call on my birthday! But this year changed all that.....not only did I stay up ALL night (Thanks, you guys...if you'd told me you'd be gate-crashing to give me a surprise, I'd have worn more decent nightclothes and not be embarrassed to put the pics up on FB!). I cut a cake, two dessert pizzas, painted a T shirt, ate chips...and received calls...things I would ordinarily do in my dreams every birthday! The freezing party on my terrace really showed me what it's like to stay up all night on your birthday!

And Google, of course....we stayed on the terrace one entire night just to catch the sunrise! And then trooped off to bed early mornings....our nocturnal instincts were so sharp back then....I don't think I've ever stayed so alert at 1 in the night to play Musical Chairs! I think that's the reason why after I got back home, my mom kept shooing me away when I would eagerly plan the 'night's' agenda....I had lost any sense of day or night and would be irritatingly active only at night! It took me a few bleary eyed moments (and sharp glares from teachers as I stifled yawn after yawn) in Literature class to realise that days would be days and I'd have to straighten my biological clock!

Since then, I've been back on schedule....sleeping early and waking early...but now suddenly everything has become Topsy Turvy all over again! I seem to sleep way after my laptop clock warns me it's 00:00. I seem to sleep en route to college and yawn throughout the day...but when nighttime strikes again, I seem to be up for a roller coaster ride! Really, somethings happened and my clock has taken a hike....the lark has decided to call it a day and the owl has finally hooted!

2 comments:

sneha said...

yay! we made it through 50!! :)

yes yes.. we totally take the credit for sparking off your change in biological cycle.. yes yes you're welcome. we hope you liked the cake. we hope you tasted the cake among the messy wax that was all your candles melted up... how many were there again?.. 25 right?

early to bed, early to rise is nice tho. i've always envied people who can do that. so much gets done in the mornings!! yet, there's this charm abt cramming in all the morning chores in 45 minutes and rushing off to a bus stop..


get ready for some nocturnal activities when you come over next week (i really like how that makes us sound like some night club-hopping party-crazy animals, instead of the boring good girls-who-bake-cake that we are!)

Vaishnavi said...

Yes yes, thanks you plentifulls :-P For showing me a whole new world! (Alladin style, quite literally, since we were sitting on a carpet only in that freezing terrace!) Yes, I also remember eating some candlewax! But the icing was so colourful I never realized!

Ahem...it was 21 actually, not 25....now who's getting dementia earlier? :-P

I know...I resolve to get back to my early rising activities from today! I feel excited already!!

Nocturnal activities? Will you be AWAKE even to hang out with us after running around at college all day? Or we could prop up a cardboard cut-out while we go out and pretend you were there all along! :-D

Shit man...Varun was right....we talk everywhere like a virus...on FB....photo comments, Status messages, walls.....we should really find a way to stop letting the world know all about our nigth-club-hopping-party-crazy animal life!) ;-)

P.P.S. There's nothing wrong with baking cakes ok? You bake, we take! :-D :-D