Sunday, July 4, 2010

I've Heard That Song Before...

'I've heard that Song before' ..did you know that's the title of a rather creepy Mary Higgins Clark book? But it is also a phrase that's been going over and over my mind lately. (and is in ABSOLUTELY no way related to Higgins Clark...who by the way, is the author of some pretty fantastic psychological thrillers.)

So anyway, like every other post, I digress from the topic, getting carried away by an allegorical title. Hm. So when was the last time you happened to channel surf on the radio and catch an English Song from way long ago?

Today I heard 'November Rain' by Guns N' Roses. Blame it on the weather (it was actually raining today...and I don't mean the paltry tears of pity.....but more like how my house gets flooded when I read books like 'A Walk to Remember'.

Took me back to school memories. (And no, I'm not that old. Just some memories with the song.) And it got me thinking.....how I've loved one genre of music at various stages of my not very old life.

Remember Aqua? Those neon-fuschia haired people who looked like they were perpetually inebriated on psychedelic colours and weird lyrics? They sang that noxious Barbie Girl song. (now I call it noxious...back then I knew the entire song by heart and would go HAW when the undress me everywhere part would come) They were the Coolest! (Back then.)

And then came, of course BoyBands. Yes yes. I've also drooled over Nick Carter at some point in my life. And bought the BackStreet Boys cassette just to have a record of his photograph. Songs like 'I want it that Way' and 'Show me the meaning of being lonely' were, like, soulful. Or whatever. I've never somehow felt that miserable in life to sing Backstreet boys songs to myself. Then and now. Thank god.

I even tried experimenting with Rock and Metal and all those non-breakable types of music. St.Anger, was it? Where prisoners beat food plates and sing in some frenzy? And that Linkin Park song? Where the whole song happens underwater, and you come to know right at the end when a fish goes gurgling by? Very interesting videos. Songs were catchy too. I remember narrating the video of Guns N' Roses 'November Rain' to a friend of mine. She burst out laughing at the whole wedding-funeral lachrymose. But when I told her the name of the song....she had this awed look. So I eventually realized. The more ludicrous the video, the more popular the song. How else can one explain Thriller?

Oh, and then there was that Avril Lavigne stage. Oh Dear. I don't like thinking about it. I'd sing 'Complicated' at the drop of a hat. It was so bad that if I were to assess the Passing through the Avril Stage version of myself, I'd diagnose Cyclothymia. (milder version of Bipolar Disorder). And then came Evanescence with the pseudo-head banging routine (which has nothing to do with the song's video....but more to do with look I can appreciate clanging music and follow its rhythm.)

Who can forget School/College fests with Summer of '69 and Zombie? They've been played at every fest I've attended. Every. Like an anthem of sorts. Even now when I hear those songs, my mind goes into reverse gear and takes me back to then.

So isn't it funny how every song can remind you of something or the other? I've cast my iPod (which I gave my dad actually, who, in a fit of enthusiasm, filled all the memory with songs from Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkle, Beatles, Eagles, Abba etc etc. Ancestral but brilliant music-makers.) away for my dysfunctional Mp3 player just because it plays the radio. So I can listen to English songs that spurt out spontaneously, and not from a rehearsed shuffle pattern. So I can dream on with every song I've heard before.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaa....vaish!!!! i remember the conversation every time i see the 'november rain' video now....
and it is funny....seriously!!!


"am i the only one??!! yeaayyya" oh well...i guess!!!!

Vaishnavi said...

Hahaha!! So it was YOU? Next Glovely-Slumber, let's introduce the song to the others also! In MUTE! :D :D

But you know, I really like the song. :) Just get distracted little bit by the video!! :D


And although you know this line, I HAVE to put it down for posterity!!

Am I the Uh-mee-baaa??? Yeeeeaaaah!! :D :D :D

Unknown said...

oh yeaa.....and the vengaboys!!!!! they need posterity more than anyone in the world!!!!

"we'r gonna have a paarrty....vooooo....in the Mediterranean Sea!!!"

i mean...these were the coolest at that time.......'hamare time pe...' :D

sneha said...

Ah I can totally relate to this! Especially the Avril Lavigne bit.. I used to think Girlfriend and It's Complicated were the heights of coolness.. Now I find her so crude!

Oh the Enrique phase.. good times! I haven't completely grown out of that phase, although sometimes, my conscience tells he's a little too pathetic. Soulful. I meant soulful. Don't look at me like that!

Ha ha! Vengaboys! They came to India and it was so thrilling :P I'm going to Ibiza.. I was convinced it had something to do with going out for pizza :P

Vaishnavi said...

@Aish: Abbe.....hamare time pe agar hamne ek girl-band khol diya hota toh Spice Girls ki dhajjiyan udd jati! :D :D

At least we would'nt have asked rhetoric questions! :D

@ Sneha: Vengaboyz? You bet! I always thought it was 'We're going to eat Pizza' :D And that Brazil song? Only one word. For 5 freakin minutes!

And you remember that Sanskrit poem Ajavilaapa? In II PU? The soulful rendition of Vidwan Suman (ahem ahem) inspired Harshini and me. We converted it to an enrique song! :D It was awesome! Were you part of it as well?? :D :D

(and yes, as much as I hate admitting it, Hero is still one of my favorites.) =) Time to hide in a cave, maybe?

sneha said...

Wow u upped the cool quotient of vidwan suman's class, and i wasn't there? :(

Oh Hero is still absolutely cry-worthy! :)

Unknown said...

haha...for the longest time, i did not know that Ibiza is an actual town or city or watever!!! ;)

i thought these are 'non-english' people......so probably thats what they call a pizza in their native language!!! hahaha.... :D

Vaishnavi said...

Dude, I survived two years of Christ only because of the fantastic Vidwan Sanskrit Classes! :D :D You HAVE to see my textbook to believe it! And in those two years, I HAD to fall ill on the fateful day he read out his 'personal poetry' :-( What a waste of illness, I tell you. :-(

When I come next to Blore, remind me, we'll go scouting for my old sanskrit textbook...i think the entire enrique song has been entered, along with illustrations! :D

sneha said...

ooh! u missed that day? o no! it was the best! the gems of poetry that flowed out of his honourable mouth.. :P considered yourself not-as-enlightened as the rest of us!