Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Platinum Post

So my blog has reached 75 posts! No ordinary feat, I tell you. Since it takes me immense will power to get out of a book/TV and log into this thing. Odd, as I generally jump at the opportunity of talking about myself.

And what does one write in their 75th post? Well, I can think of many many topics.....and of course all pertaining to me.....but I figured I should try and think about others for a change. A healthy break from narcissism is essential, don't you think? So with this 75th post, let me try and figure out other things....which probably will all come back in a murukku (a twisty turny south indian snack. Go see the Haldiram version, if you're still confused) fashion to my life somehow. But oh well, the word narcissism can take a break, I won't.

When Facebook asks you 'What's on your mind?' everytime you log in, do you ever stop to think about it? I suddenly have. I obviously don't update every single 'What's on your mind?' as a status message, but it makes me wonder nonetheless. And off late, a LOT has been on my mind. Here are just a few:

Our friend, Aedes has decided to settle down in the dark and dingy corners of the city and meet and greet us every morning. But stop blaming the MCD and clear out that water residing in your old tyre in the balcony. The mosquitoes at the CWG sites will not travel miles to come bite you at your residence. But new ones will certainly thrive in the water park you have created for them at your house. So clean out your neighbourhood first, and then protect yourself while venturing out.

Another person earning almost as much ridicule as Aedes is A R Rahman. For the CWG anthem. It is nice, ok? So it needs a patient listening, maybe a couple of times to let the song grow on you. But the claims about it being the most uncreative song and uninspired with lousy lyrics is rather uncalled for. Take one glance at the mess created in Delhi, and then please tell me WHO can get inspired to produce a grammy-winning song? But that said, the stadiums do look pretty fabulous and people like the construction workers and traffic policemen are really working hard to try and salvage the games. I tip my waterproof, mosquito repelling hat to them and hope with a jingoistic fervor that the games become a success....they deserve it.

The Metro connects us to Gurgaon!! Is it weird that I was as excited as a three year old on a Cotton Candy eating spree when I saw the Metro rolling into a swanky new station? One of the many things about Delhi that gives me goosebumps..... (Chandni Chowk, Old monuments and endless tree lined walkways are some other)

I miss Bangalore. Does that make any sense after having talked so much about Delhi? Well, it does to me. Last night, I had a dream about eating cake fudge in Corner House Basavangudi. Odd, since I've never been to that Corner House before. Cake Fudge, Benne Masala Dosas, Lalbagh walks, Sugarcane Juice, My trusty old 27D, lots of elneerus and just great times. I sometimes feel like rewinding these two years and going back to my college days, just to re-do everything and then come back to the present. Oh well, maybe I'll fall in love with a new city this time next year.

Harry Potter. I've rediscovered Harry Potter. And fallen back in love with him. I just completed the seventh book all over again and found another new piece of information that solves the already solved mystery. Harry Potter is best read the fiftieth time. I have always read the books the first time with such a childish curiosity to know the end that I've missed the vital parts altogether. Re-reading it ages later brings back everything and ties it up like a neatly wrapped birthday present. If you're feeling low or bored, picking up the nearest Harry Potter can absorb you and keep you in a parallel world for at least a couple of days. Perfect escapist route, if you ask me.

School. I realized that I've almost never mentioned my school on this blog before. It's always been a never ending commentary on everything but school. I met up with an old friend online and as we reminisced about things long gone, it made me realize how much I liked school. Running to catch the last seat in the school bus....entering late to assembly (because our L van lived up to its alphabet - being Late and Lazy).... checking shoes and nails of poor unsuspecting little kids..... trying (and failing miserably) to play volleyball in Games Period...eating hot plates of BisiBeleBath from the beautiful canteen....the fervor that Nestle Chocostick created when it was introduced...sitting on the grand steps and chatting away nineteen to a dozen...bunking class to go do SEEK work...waiting eagerly for events like Teacher's Day and then realizing that you have no ethnic wear in your jeans-infested wardrobe so rushing out on 4th evening to buy one....and finally, the friends I made. Almost everyone is now out of the city, if not the country....but I think my school deserves some posterity on this page...and hence it figures in my platinum post.

Oh well...there are so many other things I want to write about. How bad parenting is ruining the lives of the children I meet everyday, How the media is sensationalizing something as trivial as Tharoor's pilgrimage, How Gmail's new priority inbox has grouped random people under my priority list for no apparent reason and How I have a stack of British Council books waiting to be read but I've chosen to blog instead. Since the last option is the only one I can work on, I'll get right to it.

75 posts to mark my *dhai* years of journey on the cyberspace. I've blogged from four cities, and here's hoping that by the next 75 posts, I can go a little more global about my outlook on bizarre things in life or is that bizarre outlook about things in life?

8 comments:

sneha said...

Vary Vary naice post indeed.. Vary good job child!

You are my hero.. or heroine.. my blog hasn't touched 20 also, because I'm the world's biggest lazy bum, and I'm also supremely conscious of the fact that the world may not want to read about plain ol' me :P

Now you made me want to go to Corner House!! :( You know what's unfair.. there was a perfectly nice Corner House across from work, and I'd dream happy dreams of hanging out there a lot once I began work. But the damned Carlton fire ruined everything! :(

I thought this post was going to be about *others*?

Vaishnavi said...

Thenks!! :D :D If you want I'll start writing on your blog also!!

Yeah, silly fire. At least they could've relocated that Corner House elsewhere....like maybe in Delhi. :P

Vaishnavi said...

Oh, and I did think about others...remember Aedes, Rahman and Traffic Policemen on CWG duty? Not to mention E Sreedharan for the Metro, Harry Potter and my L van driver. :P It's a murukku, I tell you. Everything eventually finds its way back to me! :D

Unknown said...

" I have always read the books the first time with such a childish curiosity to know the end that I've missed the vital parts altogether. "

i've always wondered how do u put ur thoughts on paper(blog :P) so easily.. :) i dont kno u but for sm reason i read ur every new post :P

Vaishnavi said...

Haha, thanks! It feels great to reach out so effectively on a blog....and I write pretty much like this on paper too...except, it stays within a personal diary! :D

Unknown said...

I agree with you on Harry Potter!!!! Aaaaaannnd.....when no one is around...i actually read the dialogues out loud!!! I LAU harry potter!!!!

which brings me to the most essential question!!!! The Glove does not feature in your "75th" post!!!! Are we not important enough??? :(
You are no fun at all!!! :P

Vaishnavi said...

Haha...Ash, let's do a dialogue next time (when no one's looking!)

And this post isn't about what are the most important things in my life. It's about things I don't talk of too often. Clearly, I wouldn't hold Aedes in higher esteem than you guys!

You feature in pretty much everything else. Isn't that enough?? :D

Unknown said...

You're the last of the lot, you know. Of all the people who started around when I did, everyone else has stopped posting regularly.

So congratulations are in order. For your 75th and for being the only one to stick it out. :)