Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Metaflashback.

Is a flashback within a flashback known as metaflashback? Oh well, even if it isn't, I don't really care, it just sounds nice for a title! 

2008 did not go by as a flash. There are so many things I've done this year that it is impossible to remember them all. However, if I shut my eyes for a second, then the technicolour vision I get that defines my 2008 includes all this: 

My twentieth birthday. After all that cribbing, my turn to turn twenty arrived. I must say, that the day was really special thanks to everyone who took that effort to make it this way. A big big hug goes out to those two best friends I have who gave me those twenty gifts (Guys, I've eaten some, but those inedible gifts are etched forever in my room and memory). 

The Internship. Hey, don't blame me for bringing it up every ten seconds of this year since April. I've  learnt Foosball, table tennis, archery, wall climbing and golf. I've cycled in the rain, danced on rooftops at midnight, wandered in the streets of Hyderabad, sampled (actually more than just sampled)  food from all over the world (such as bouillabaisse - although I don't get why people are so crazy over it). And yes, worked as well! It was like pages from paradise. I wont get into it anymore but leave it at that- a splendid memory of the year that was. 

Photography!! I don't mean pictures that I may have put up on social networking sites. Because I take AGES in putting those up. I mean my photography class. I discovered the underbelly of Bangalore and noticed the livelihood of so many people we just don't bother with. At the risk of sounding painfully cliched and pun-ny, I have to say, 'My eyes were opened' with photography class. Two months of waking up ridiculously early (even for morning larks like me) and exploring the city in new bus routes was an intriguing experience. 

Movies!!!! I've seen the most number of movies this year than any other year. And I've liked them ALL! The pre-movie thrill was much more fun though. Whether it was giggling throughout a movie just because of ONE outfit (Sex and the City),  racing down Bellary road just to reach the theatre on time (for Dostana) , or watching a movie with the entire class, I've fallen in love with countless protagonists and hummed scores of tunes this year. Very filmy. 

Friends- I made lots of them this year. Some who live in other cities, but still maintain close enough ties. Some who are with me all day long, and yet never tire me (or get tired by me, I think), some who are game for doing anything anytime. I've made new ones, stayed with the old ones, rediscovered some and learnt lessons from some. They've all added colour, drama and emotion to all my experiences this year. I hope they continue to do so, every year. 

FOOD! This includes everything. From that entire Google office (I swear, sometimes, I compare the place to Willy Wonka's factory- except here, you get much more than just candy) to that list we've all made for things and places to eat in before graduating. We're completing the list and adding more every week. I think it's begun to show on me too. Oh dear! 

College!! Is it just me or does everyone like college as much as I do? It's funny, but I get this thrill of waking up and entering college to begin a brand new day with delightful (OK, not everyone is that delightful) people. There hasn't been a day when I've not laughed till I've cried. And I hope there never will be. 2009 is going to begin with very very mushy posts about how terrible I'll feel while graduating! :-( 

Uno!! Uno is more than just a game for us. What started off as a train game while going to hyderabad, turned into a BIG DEAL. We've had super-uno championships. We've been threatened by the railway police that we'll be procesuted (apparently) for gambling! Maybe the world is ignorant of the game. It's one brilliant invention. Especially for those slow slow slow English classes on Thursday afternoons. 

Urgh. There is so much more to think about, to ink about. Sometimes, I wish my thoughts could just get typed by themselves to save time. However, I still need to do stuff that will determine my fate for the first week of 2009. So I'm off with just this one small (not so small also) post about the year that finishes in 9 hours from now. A remarkable year, that will be penned down as one of my best till date. My resolution for 2009? To make it even more remarkable than 2008! 

4 comments:

sneha said...

I'm surprised that with your appetite and your readiness to try out ANY sort of cuisine, you still haven't eaten up the inedible gifts! ;)

Well, 2008 will be my most memorable year too, but definitely not for happy reasons.

And ahem... wasn't someone very recently consoling me about turning 20?

Vaishnavi said...

Oye! That was ONE time and you admitted that you liked the banana chip and carrot sandwich too! Not to mention the dessert pizza and those momos in that sidey little place!
My appetite and readiness to try out ANY sort of cuisine reflects very badly if I'm made to stand in front of Reenu! People will assume I eat all of her food as well!!

I know, your 2008 wasnt the best, but we'll try our best to make 2009 the best! :) (get it? or are there too many bests?)

And yes, dear child, let's mutually console each other for growing older and older...I was only consoling you hoping that in three months' time, you will be reciprocating it! I'll be 21!!!1 Waaaaah!!!! :( :( :(

sneha said...

If you were a boy, I'd be telling you that ypu can ow get married legally.. that's what I tell all boys who are turning 21! :) ok ok don't start weeping.. you'll find your prince pretty soon!!

Vaishnavi said...

I could've gotten married 2 years ago only...but no prince around only ya!

I shall weep to you in person, not on the world wide web! :)

Will Freddie PRINZE Jr do, though? :-P Lately, I've been watching movies starring him....hmmm......